Thursday, March 31, 2022

Sasha

In the summer of 2020, we were charged with a Russian Tortoise from Palomino. Sasha. Aka "Sashita". Her tank had a layer of substrate, a house, a terra cotta dish, and some long grass for her to hide under. Palomino's instructions were:

  1. Feed him a stick of chewed up carrot once a day, or regular lettuce.
  2. Give him a bath once a month.
  3. He will eat dandelion flowers when available.
I'll be back to get her when travel opens up, Palomino assured us as he left for the south. And that was it. That's everything I knew about tortoises. Hah!



Water temperature 104ºF



We breezed through our first winter with Sasha. But I felt so bad that I was force-bathing Sasha. So I put a bowl of water in her tank for her to bathe at her leisure. 




She was very active, always scratching at the wall, as if she wanted to get out. So I looked online to learn more about her. Turned out, Russian tortoises like to burrow. So I tripled the amount of substrate in her tank. And sure enough! She dug down for her naps! 



Suddenly, Sasha would stay burrowed for long periods of time! We wouldn't see her for 2-3 days. I panicked, and took her to the doctor, afraid that I might kill her before she was reunited with her owner. 




That's when I was given the breaking news that Sasha is a HE. And that it costs more for a doctor to treat a tortoise than it does a dog! Sasha would not come out of his shell for the doctor, thank goodness! I got away with only a consultation fee, which could buy me a grandé latte at Starbucks everyday for a month!

I did more research, and discovered that many tortoise owners put their pets outside when the temperature reaches above 65ºF. The natural light is wonderful for their health! The benefits of being outside in the dirt, and in natural light far outweighs the risk of them falling prey.

So, come late spring, I built her a pen with shelter and a swimming pool. Sasha did so well inside her outdoor space! Several times she burrowed deep enough where I had to really look for her to bring her in for the night. I dared not leave her outside where raccoons and rats might harm her. 



And that's where Sasha spent HIS summer and early fall. 

Come Halloween, he was burrowing more and more, coming out for food maybe once a week. 

Then Thanksgiving came. And the Christmas tree and decorations came out. But not not Sasha. 

Then snow came on two separate occasions. But not Sasha.

Valentine's Day. No love from Sasha. 

F*ck! I thought. I killed him!

Palomino instructed me to dig him out and put him in a tub of warm water immediately. 

But I did not... 

Then, on the last day of February, as we lazed in the heat of the fireplace we heard it... Scratch... Scratch... 

Sasha! He's alive! Alleluia! He has risen from a deep slumber of three months! 

Now! Now I put him in a warm bath, and gave him a nibble of lettuce. 





'Tis the season of dandelions! So Sasha shall feast on freshly picked sidewalk flowers!





The days are getting longer. The temperature is climbing. The sun is drying up the muddy puddles. Soon Sasha will bask in the sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment